[Note: In the original publication, this was the first place mentioned in the place names around the parish boundary.]
Starting at the extreme North of the parish, at an elevation of 500ft., the first name of interest is Gillams field, now corrupted into Gilhams, a field on the boundary of the parish touching the western edge of West Hoathly and now included in the ecclesiastical district of Turners Hill. The name is a relic of the Gillam family of the Furnace, whose records are in the Registers from 1564 to 1695. It is probably a contraction of Guillaume (William), many of the iron workers of that day being of French nationality. It is part of Great Strudgate Farm.