In the hollow along from Oak Cottages we get Goreshaw Cottage, which shares its name with the neighbouring pit and shaw. The cottage has sometimes been called “Noah’s Ark”, from its resemblance to that ancient symbol. It has a curious history, having been originally set up at Jordans by the Rev.W.P. Haslewood, Rector 1844-75. He removed it to its present position, and later a storey was added which accounts for its peculiar shape. Photographs are in existence of it in its original condition of a one-floored building.
The name “Gore” is a very old one, and means a corner or angle piece. We use it now chiefly in dressmaking, when a gore is added to a length of material, to widen it at one end. In the present instance it is the natural name for the shape of the piece of land which bears it. Street Lane and the road through Hapstead form a point opposite the “Greyhound” and the land bounded by them was called the Gores in consequence, in old times. In later times one of these fields was called the Club field, where the annual festivities were held. The name Goreshaw remains at the broad end of the angle only, having been fixed by the existence of the shaw. Surnames often are taken from the place where a man lived, and we have one or two good examples of this connected with “Gore”. For instance, in 1296, among the tax-payers of this district we find Galfred atte Gore and Philip atte Gore. Whether they took their name from the Ardingly Gore is uncertain, but it is well to recognise the age of these names and to preserve them if possible.